Travelling to a EU country or Northern Ireland

Ahead of your Animal Health Certificate appointment, we request you please complete the below form and return to the practice at least 24 hours before your appointment.

Download AHC Pre Information Form

In light of Brexit, the Pet Passport scheme no longer exists for pets living in Great Britain, and it has been replaced with Animal Health Certificates which are required for each trip to an EU country or Northern Ireland. They are issued within 10 days of travel by an Official Veterinarian (OV), and are valid for 4 months for onward travel within the EU and re-entry to GB, and cover up to 5 pet animals. Animals must have been microchipped and be up to date with their rabies vaccination. An animal must be at least 12 weeks old before it can have its first rabies vaccination, and cannot travel till 21 days after this vaccination. Booster interval depends on the vaccine used.

More information about Animal Health Certificates can be found on the Government website:

Travelling to a non-EU country

If you’re travelling to a non-EU country, you’ll need to get an export health certificate (EHC). You’ll also need to complete an export application form (EXA) if you’re in England, Scotland or Wales.

The export health certificate and the export application form for each country and pet will tell you how to apply.

An EHC checks that your pet meets the health requirements of the country you’re travelling to. Some countries may have specific import requirements, including blood tests, and these may be required some weeks before the intended travel date, so it is important to look ahead when considering travel arrangements for pets.